“Raci Alper is a very bright, hard working lawyer. He leaves no stones unturned. His dedication and work ethic is appreciated by the clients. He is one of the young stars of the firm and he is very well respected in the industry. He is one of the young lawyers to watch. He is great with the law but also very importantly, he is very commercial and understands the client’s concerns and is very user friendly.” - Legal 500, Transport, 2022
“Raci Alper (…) always delivers an excellent service.” – Legal 500, Transport, 2022
“Raci Alper and Emre Ersoy particularly impressed us for with speed and quality of their responses, which was needed in the particular circumstances.” – Legal 500, Insurance, 2022
“He is very approachable, provides fast and impeccable advice and his English is as good as any native speaker.” – Legal 500, Insurance, 2022
Raci specializes in various legal matters related to the shipping and insurance sectors including contracts of carriage, marine insurance and a wide array of disputes arising out of casualties such as collisions, groundings, salvage, crew injury/death, cargo damage/loss and pollution. Among his clients are P&I, FD&D and hull insurers, ship owners, charterers, operators, ports, shipyards and traders.
His transport related work also covers carriage by road where he advises and represents clients ranging from hauliers, freight forwarders and other types of logistics service provides and their insurers to warehouse operators and terminals on complex disputes involving CMR, contracts of carriage, multimodal transport, cargo casualty, theft and customs issues.
On the non-marine side of his insurance practice, he advises underwriters, particularly ones operating in the Lloyd’s market, on coverage issues and disputes involving a Turkish element.
On several occasions he has issued specialist legal opinions, witness statements and affidavits in court and arbitral proceedings held in various jurisdictions on legal questions concerning Turkish transport and insurance law.
He has vast experience in the recognition and enforcement in Turkey of judgments and awards rendered in various jurisdictions.
* Representing the P&I insurers of the m/v LADY AZIZA in Turkish court proceedings ensuing from a collision off the Port of Ravenna.
* Acting for the interests of the cargo on board the m/v VITASPIRIT in relation to a multimillion USD salvage claim following her grounding in the Istanbul Strait.
* Acting for the charterers of a container vessel and their insurers with regard to a high value salvage claim arising out of her grounding in the Istanbul Strait involving general average and numerous cargo and container owners.
* Acting for the owners and P&I Club of a bulk carrier in proceedings before the Turkish courts and administrative bodies following a collision in the Marmara Sea.
* Acting for the owners and P&I insurers of the m/v LENA in relation to a collision with another general cargo vessel in one of the anchorage areas in the Istanbul Strait.
* Acting the owners and P&I Club of a vessel in relation to fraudulent bills of lading and multimillon USD steel cargo damage claims.
* Acting for the road carriers of an off-lease aircraft engine that was allegedly damaged during transport from Turkey to Ireland against claims from the shipper and the cargo underwriters.
* Representing the owners of a chemical tanker that suffered a rudder malfunction shortly after leaving dry dock in relation to their multimillion USD claim against the shipyard.
* Representing the owners and the crew of a number of vessels that faced drug trafficking charges after calling at Turkish ports after loading cargo at Colombian ports.
* Acting for the buyers of a yacht under construction at a Turkish shipyard in successfully obtaining interim relief for the protection of their rights.
* Representing the owners of multiple vessels in relation to claims arising out of alleged damage to subsea cables in the Marmara Sea and the Istanbul Strait.
* Acting for the hull and machinery insurers of a chemical tanker in relation to a multimillion USD coverage dispute.
* Assisting hull and machinery insurers in defending against a EUR 2.5 million policy coverage claim arising from the total loss of an insured vessel.
EducationLL.M., University of Southampton, 2011
LL.B., Dokuz Eylul University, 2009
American Collegiate Institute, 2004
MembershipsAdmitted to the Istanbul Bar
Turkish Maritime Law Association
- Administrative & Regulatory Affairs
- Environmental Law
- General Contract Law
- Hotel & Leisure
- Insurance & Re-insurance
- Litigation & Arbitration
- Maritime, Shipping & Transport
- Real Estate & Construction
NEW & POTENTIALLY HARSHER FINES FOR MARINE POLLUTION AND FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH IMO 2022 SULPHUR LIMITS
THE GOVERNMENT DOUBLED THE MINIMUM LIMITS OF MANDATORY COVER FOR SHORE FACILITIES MARINE POLLUTION LIABILITY INSURANCE
Turkish Parliament Ratifies the Arrest Convention 1999 and the Maritime Liens and Mortgages Convention 1993
The European List Published: Only Facilities Contained in the List Can Recycle Ships Flying the Flag of an EU Member State
Marine Surveyors and Survey Companies Will Soon Have To Obtain Operating Licences or Face Sanctions
Distributor and Lube Oil Licences Expanded to Include the Processing of Waste Lube Oils
Termination of Employment Agreements in Light of Art. 435 of the Code of Obligations no. 6098